Chess Openings: How to Play the Scotch Game!

Sign up for FREE online play at !
IM Rensch brings some of his own special stuff to our Chess Openings playlist today! He reviews one of his favorite openings, the Scotch Game and provides valuable insight into the development patterns and pawn structure. Enjoy!


  1. ive never heard so many annoying things said in 8 minutes before.

  2. "a.k.a. gangsta rap style" … fuckin lost it

  3. some odd moves here that would not have been good even if he says so

  4. Is it possible to head towards a sicilian english attack structure?

  5. Continue to develop. Black doesn't have any immediate threats to white's queen

  6. I found this video extremely instructional and useful. Thank you for going into so much detail and covering so much ground.

  7. What if white play Bc4 instead of take the pawn on d4 

  8. Someone below asked, what if they take with the Knight at first? I assume they mean after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.d4 Nxd4. This should help White after 4.Nxd4 exd 5 Qxd4, as the Nb8 that would normally chase away White's Queen with tempo, has been traded off. Maybe Black could try 5…Qf6 hoping for 6.Qxf6 Nxf6, but that seems to help Black. So, White shouldn't trade, but, maybe play 6.Be3. Notice that Black could play 5….c5 chasing the White Queen, but, after, say 6.Qd3 Black will have a backward d pawn at least for a while. 
        In the mid 1990s I coached a K-6th grade chess club in Washington State. I taught the kids the Scotch Opening as White, as I believed it would be a great choice for them to start off with and learn the basics. I also soemtimes used in in my tournament play.   

  9. How can we remember openings and it's variations?

  10. Learn chess in hindi.. Type in search bar and watch

  11. I used to play Scotch opening without learning it, it was making my way easier to play an open space in the center

  12. After e4 e5 Nf3 Nc6 d4 exd4 Nxd4 Bc5 Nxc6 Qf6 Qd2, why does black capture the knight with the d pawn and not the queen where he wouldn’t end up with doubled pawns

  13. The jokes are unnecessary…Stick to the opening. I almost clicked off

  14. Educational and hilarious. Haters gonna hate Danny, you do you!

  15. Huh. I'm rated 1400 and 75% of my scotch games black does knight takes knight on d4. And then the other 25% of the time they don't even do exd4

  16. Every time I play the Scotch Game, I think of "Michael Scotch" from The Office.

  17. 2:09 what if white move weak pawn to f3 or f4 instead of queen to d2?

  18. too much chat that is not about the opening

  19. Good video! For me as a beginner, it's a little bit difficult to follow along when we explore many options then backtrack, but after some rewinding it works 🙂

  20. 2012…Look how old the pieces look!
    Anyway, thanks for this. Been binging on the scotch today.

  21. To much "babbling" at the beginning, lost the will to live.

  22. I've been trying to find a good, simple intro to the Scotch, and this is the one. Thank you!

  23. I've been trying to find a good, simple intro to the Scotch, and this is the one. Thank you!

  24. Bro…breathe. Can’t follow when you go that fast.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *